Travellers visting many areas throughout the worldcan come in contact with insects that can spread severe and sometimes fatal diseases. Insect precautions are preventative measures you can use to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes and other insects. Some of the diseases mosquitoes transmitto people aremalaria, dengue fever, chikungunya virus, zika virus, yellow fever and Japanese encephalitis.
How can I prevent insect-borne diseases?
• Consider receiving available vaccines or taking preventative medications
• Cover exposed skin by wearing long sleeved shirts and long pants
• Avoid dark colours and heavily scented toiletries
• Apply an insect repellent containing 30% DEET or 20% Icaridin
• Sleep in air-conditioned accommodation or under a Permethrin-impregnated bed net
• In areas where tick-borne encephalitis disease is a risk, complete a daily full body check.
There is no treatment for many insect borne diseases. Vigilent insect precautions are essential when traveling to ares where mosquito-borne diseases are present.
Call us at 604-251-1975 to arrange an appointment or to receive further information about insect precautions.
Visit our clinics for a pre-travel consultation and receive vaccines to protect your health.
Contact us now to arrange the most suitable time!
and may be booked outside the hours listed below.